August 2017 Minutes
Following a delicious dessert buffet, the board meeting was called to order at 6:45pm by President Mary Boone.
The May 15 ,2017 board meeting minutes were approved with a motion by Susan Enright, and seconded by Barb Applebaum.
Treasurer, Lynne Comings reported an operating balance of $19,249.88. Income of 1582.26. Expenses totaled $450. 49 for a Total balance of $20,381.65.
President Mary Boone thanked the members for attending the meeting and for bringing all the delicious desserts for the buffet. President Boone announced that requests for donations will be held at a future meeting. A new form was developed last year with criteria for donations. Lynn Comings will research donations from last year and more discussion will be held at another meeting. President Boone also requested membership records from prior years for a future discussion about sustaining membership in GFWC.
Correspondence was read and filed.
Discussion was held about “Little Black Dress” event and “Recycled Treasures” event. More discussion will be held in the future about dates and locations for these events in 2018.
A discussion was held regarding the Agenda for the September 6, 2017 meeting, “The Cruise Ship”. Details of the opening meeting will be sent to clarify the agenda.
President Boone has been busy “Learning the Ropes” from the material passed on the her from Past President Melanie Stretchbery. President Boone has focused on two major goals for her first year:
- Recognizing members’ contributions- she encouraged members to look around and find women who are worthy of being recognized through their work or contributions to the club or their community;
- Establishing a Google Account for use by Women’s Club members. She shared information about using the account, the domain and password:
- Password- WCBG1920 (uppercase)
1st Vice Presidents Report- Susan Enright- Susan reported about an event sponsored by the Modern Woodman “How to Make an Impact on your Community” at the Simpson Garden Building on September 6, 2017 from 11:00AM-1:00PM. RSVP to Susan Kurfess. The event is free.
Co- Second Vice President’s – Jean Blechschmidt, Susan Kurfess- discussed programs and changes for the 2017-2018 year. The board members thanked Jean and Susan for their work on the programs and Deb McLean for her work on the program booklet.
During the topic of programs, it was suggested by Pat Limes that a hostess change take place in October, and that there be a raffle at the meeting for donations to the Cocoon Shelter for supplies needed. It was also suggested that we wear purple in honor of Domestic Violence.
There were several motions made to approve donations for some of the programs:
- There was a motion made to move a $100.00 donation to the Cocoon Shelter in October instead of in April. A motion made by _____, seconded by______. Motion carried.
- There was a motion made to donate $100.00 to the Canine Companions in November. Motion made by Judy _______, seconded by Linda Frizzel. Motion carried.
- There was a motion to donate $100.00 to the Food Pantry in December. A motion was made by Melanie Stretchbery, seconded by Susan Kurfess. Motion carried
Co- Second Vice Presidents, Susan Kurfess and Jean Blechschmidt, led a discussion about possible Program Topics for the 2017- 2018 year. Some suggestions were: Madrigals, Identity theft, Opiod drug epidemic, Domestic violence, Alcoholism, Child abuse, Hayes Memorial speaker, Black History, Police Dog, Canine Companions, University President, Sentinel editor, Clara Barton presentation, Veteran’s day program and Fire safety.
The first meeting in September will be a potluck with a cruise ship theme.
Committee Chair Reports:
Fund Raising –
International Outreach- Shot at Life-to consider donations for the future of Children’s vaccines
Literature Group- Meeting, September 20, (Wednesday) 1:30 PM Hostess- Kay Heffernan
Long Range Planning-
Membership- Discussed payment of dues.
Adjourned- At approximately 8:30PM.
Respectfully submitted by,
Laura Keller, Recording Secretary